Nature of Action: On August 25, 2021 the Registrar issued a citation to Stephen Bartlett under section 37 of the Health Professions Act.
The citation notifies Mr. Bartlett that the Discipline Committee will conduct a hearing to inquire into his conduct as follows:
- In the course of providing massage therapy services to patient A.A., he:
- Disputed her surgeon’s diagnosis of her medical condition and provided his own diagnosis;
- Made comments and/or statements of an unprofessional, inappropriate and/or personal nature to her [note: particulars omitted];
- Manipulated her neck without any, or, in the alternative, adequate, consent and after she had instructed him not to do so;
- Failed to adequately communicate the treatment plan to treat her pectoral muscles and serratus anterior, including that this treatment would be at or near her breasts;
- Failed to obtain any, or, in the alternative, adequate, consent to treat at or near her breasts; and
- Failed to adequately adjust treatment and communicate with her after she expressed that she was experiencing pain while he was treating at or near her breasts;
- In the course of providing massage therapy services to patient B.B., he:
- Made comments and/or statements of an unprofessional, inappropriate and/or personal nature to him [note: particulars omitted];
- During the assessment and while patient B.B. was clothed, touched patient B.B.’s low back, hips, buttocks and/or gluteal cleft without any, or, in the alternative adequate, consent; and/or
- From or about November 7, 2019 and thereafter, stated online, that he:
- “specialize[s] in structural alignment, specifically spinal and pelvic alignment”;
- is an “osteopath”, which is a reserved title under section 2(2) of the Medical Practitioners Regulation for registrants of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia; and/or
- is an “Arthrokinetic therapist”.
Preliminary Decision: On January 31, 2022, a panel of the Discipline Committee issued reasons for decision in respect of an application to hold the discipline hearing in private and by video-conference, among other things. Read Reasons for Decision (PDF).
Hearing Dates: The hearing was held virtually on the following dates: May 16-20, 2022. The hearing on verdict has now concluded, and the Discipline Committee panel has reserved its decision. When the decision of the panel is issued, an update will be published.
Important Note: Citations issued by the Inquiry Committee under section 37 of the Health Professions Act contain allegations which are and remain unproven unless admitted by a registrant or determined by the Discipline Committee.