Nature of Action: On August 25, 2021 the Registrar issued a citation to Stephen Bartlett under section 37 of the Health Professions Act.
The citation notifies Mr. Bartlett that the Discipline Committee will conduct a hearing to inquire into his conduct as follows:
- In the course of providing massage therapy services to patient A.A., he:
- Disputed her surgeon’s diagnosis of her medical condition and provided his own diagnosis;
- Made comments and/or statements of an unprofessional, inappropriate and/or personal nature to her [note: particulars omitted];
- Manipulated her neck without any, or, in the alternative, adequate, consent and after she had instructed him not to do so;
- Failed to adequately communicate the treatment plan to treat her pectoral muscles and serratus anterior, including that this treatment would be at or near her breasts;
- Failed to obtain any, or, in the alternative, adequate, consent to treat at or near her breasts; and
- Failed to adequately adjust treatment and communicate with her after she expressed that she was experiencing pain while he was treating at or near her breasts;
- In the course of providing massage therapy services to patient B.B., he:
- Made comments and/or statements of an unprofessional, inappropriate and/or personal nature to him [note: particulars omitted];
- During the assessment and while patient B.B. was clothed, touched patient B.B.’s low back, hips, buttocks and/or gluteal cleft without any, or, in the alternative adequate, consent; and/or
- From or about November 7, 2019 and thereafter, stated online, that he:
- “specialize[s] in structural alignment, specifically spinal and pelvic alignment”;
- is an “osteopath”, which is a reserved title under section 2(2) of the Medical Practitioners Regulation for registrants of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia; and/or
- is an “Arthrokinetic therapist”.
Preliminary Decision: On January 31, 2022, a panel of the Discipline Committee issued reasons for decision in respect of an application to hold the discipline hearing in private and by video-conference, among other things. Read Reasons for Decision (PDF).
Hearing Dates: The hearing was held virtually on the following dates: May 16-20, 2022.
Important Note: Citations issued by the Inquiry Committee under section 37 of the Health Professions Act contain allegations which are and remain unproven unless admitted by a registrant or determined by the Discipline Committee.
Update: The decision of the Discipline Committee panel on verdict has now been issued. Read the public notice relating to this decision, dated August 31, 2023.